Picture
Writer's block?  Procrastination?  A case of the "Idon'twanna's?"  The Muse that always shows up with great ideas decided to go on strike and demand better wages?  Whatever the reason, we have all been there.

We're stuck.  We don't know what to write.

I've been there.  No seriously.  A lot.  And recently.  Like four days ago.
So what do I do?  (Or more specifically, what DID I do?)

First off, know this.  I don't pretend to know all the answers, or anything.  I'm trying to figure this thing our just like you are.  However, I do know for certain that in order for us to move forward AT ALL, we do have to ultimately get to the keyboard (or pencil if you're one of those "longhand" weirdos) and just get SOMETHING on the page.

But what?  I mean, it's really not fun if we are just pounding out something that we know we are going to hate.  You've heard that too, right?  "Just write anything.  It may not make sense or be total garbage, but at least you're writing!"  I mean, I guess that's true.  But I don't want to waste my time, either.  (Says the guy who is probably checking for new reviews on Amazon rather than advancing his story.)
However, that really IS the case.  Just start writing, blah blah blah.  It's hard, but I guess it is true.  And who knows, maybe writing something terrible DOES inspire the greater stuff to start flowing.

But back to my most recent push through being stuck...

Here was my problem.  I'm working on Book 2 of the Jordy Nichols thing.  I thought I wrote a pretty cool prologue.  Introduced some new characters, but referenced some old ones, etc.  Advanced the mythology a bit.  Check.  Then I struggled with how to get back into Jordy.  I mean, I left a few BIG questions with the last sentence of RedBird -- so how do I address those?  I mean, if I'M hearing the story, I kinda want that addressed sooner than later -- or else I'm distracted with that question while hearing about NEW stuff.  I also didn't want to just have the characters "talk" about it and then move on to something else.  Yeesh.  FINALLY, I wanted to really explore the new relationships that Jordy has with people that he met from RedBird, and have some fun with what that could look like.

Cue my "muse" throwing her Toga over her shoulder and storming out the senate door -- leaving me staring at a blinking cursor.  A cursor at the end of a few sentences that I just didn't like.

So, just rewrite it, right?  I couldn't.  For whatever reason it was intimidating or something.  I felt like I owed something to my characters AND my readers, and I just didn't feel like I could deliver.  So I was stuck for awhile.

Then I just did something different.
I started writing something that WASN'T so important to advancing the mythology.  Started writing something that WASN'T about delving into Jordy's future.  Started writing something that WASN'T about the new "BIG" problem that they might face.

Nope.  I just wrote something fun.  I wrote an action scene.  A fight with a different character.  For me, that's fun.  I put on some inspiring music, and just played with a couple of characters grappling for their lives.  For you, maybe it's something else -- like a couple falling in love, or describing a comet racing through space, or the hero exploring a dripping cavern with a sputtering torch.  Heck, maybe you're like Tolkien and you have fun going into incredible detail about the heritage and naming of a sword.

Whatever it is, have a blast!  For God's sake, aren't we supposed to enjoy writing?

So I did.  Got a beloved character (by me, anyway) into a real pickle...in fact...I'm not so sure they're going to live.  Heh heh.  I just raised my own stakes and made things exciting for ME!  And that's what it's all about, right?  I mean, I'm approaching the page with a new sense of wonder, awe, and anticipation -- and hopefully that will translate to my readers.  And you know what?  I loved the action so much in that little "writing exercise," that I'm REPLACING my old prologue with that!  What better way to launch into a book?  Right in the middle of some fun stuff!

So when you're stuck (like I was stuck) just find a way to "bliss out" again.  Write something that made you start writing in the first place.  You may not use it, sure.  But you'll fall in love with your craft again.  And who knows?  You might just show that muse whose boss after all...

Have fun, writers.  I'm stoked to read your stuff.

Comments

Most of peoples are having skills of writing and they are having huge collection of knowledge in their mind they use them and through their imagination they creative wonderful story or poem which like by numerous peoples. Sometime writer stuck what they write they need to search online or see around this to get inspiration.

Writer's block cannot be avoided because no person has continuous and overflowing thoughts. Despite that, one should not panic nor belittle themselves. Ideas are not being forced to come up in one's mind, they flow naturally. You have written such wonderful article and provided really good examples. Overall, it was a great read and I also liked the picture that you included.

06/17/2017 12:05pm

Prices vary from products to products mostly averaging out $400 or above. Estimated values may poles apart from the actual company prices.

06/18/2017 10:45am

The Tarot has the unique ability to identify not only your own needs, but the needs of your partner. It offers insight into one's behavior patterns and projections that are influencing a relationship.

06/20/2017 11:17am

10/08/2016 3:01am

When you're new in the article writing business, you make uninformed mistakes that you wouldn't normally do in the real world because there's usually someone around you can go to for advice. In the virtual world and working from home, it's a different story altogether.

11/09/2016 1:00pm

The writting power comes from inside the heart and you should be deeply involved while writting. The perfect time for me to write is the night. Complete silence at that time.

Plagiarism is theft of another person's writings or ideas. Placing one's own name on someone else's work is the simplest and yet the most extreme form of Plagiarism. Imitation, adaptation, or pastiche is not always easily separable from Plagiarism. However, it is usually distinguished by its dishonest intention.

Procrastination and writer's block will always be a part of the struggles of being a writer. It's hard but if you know what to do and how to manage it, you'd be back on writing in no time. For me, I'd only be able to overcome writer's block is when I have a very good concept/story in mind. I must write it down immediately. While I overcome procrastination by just turning off the WiFi. It always works like a charm.

11/24/2016 1:34am

The need for quality authors that can write content for online blogs and magazines is increasing daily. It's never been easier to get a content writing job or become a published article author. These days, it's not that hard to make a modest income from selling articles online.

02/16/2017 1:25pm

The way with which you came up with the solution was indeed impressive. I've learned now that something's always, always better than nothing because you're getting opportunities and creativity flowing through,

02/25/2017 3:20am

When shopping for wireless routers, it is easy for one to get confused given that most wireless routers appear similar upon first glance. In actual sense all the wireless routers that are in the market differs from the other in terms of features. However, most buyers often find it challenging to make the right decision in respect to selecting the most appropriate router.

03/25/2017 6:02pm

Your web design is very good. I love to see it.

04/17/2017 6:34am

This is a good post. This post gives truly quality information. I’m definitely going to look into it. Really very useful tips are provided here. Thank you so much. Keep up the good works

04/18/2017 11:54pm

Please give some advice on how to achieve this kind of posts.

04/19/2017 2:46am

I definitely enjoying every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post.

05/17/2017 1:13am

Watch Canelo vs Golovkin Fight at Las Vegas Saul Canelo Alvarez vs Gennady Golovkin Boxing Free Tickets Update Get Here.

06/13/2017 10:57pm

I have most of my friends who are in a writing profession often discuss aout Writer's block. I used to make fun of them when they say about this. Reading your article was informative to know what this writers block does mean and how to overcome the same. Thanks.

06/22/2017 3:26am

Cool stuff you have and you keep overhaul every one of us

06/22/2017 1:26pm

Omega 3 fish oil supplements are the talk of the town. Health freaks around the world swear by these supplements. If you are looking for a supplement with 'magical' health benefits, and with no negative side effects, look no further!

06/23/2017 1:13pm

This article will focus on what social media sites are helpful for candidates and how to maximize their use in landing in the right job.